What's damaging my hydrangea leaves?

SMS77June 18, 2013

About 1/3 of my hydrangea leaves have been all cut up by some insect. I found a little green insect on the leaf, about the size of an aphid, but with longer legs and walking around (couldn't figure out how to post 2 photos), but I don't know if that's what's causing this. Anyone seen leaf damage like this before? The damaged leaves eventually turn light green/yellow, then die. I want to catch it before it kills the whole plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SMS77

OK, here's the little insect I found on the leaf.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:34PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

The insect is an aphid.

The damage looks like hail damage from a while ago.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:26PM
calliope(6)

Yes, it is some sort of mechanical damage and aphids can't chew leaves.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:59PM
SMS77

Really, mechanical damage? I guess that is good news, if that's what it is. We don't really get a lot of hail around here, so that's surprising. We just moved into this house about a month ago though, so maybe something happened before we moved in that I don't know about. And I didn't think that aphids were quite as mobile as this little insect is. He moves sideways really fast. OK, well thanks for the input!

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 11:48PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

3 choices... insect... disease ... mechanical ...

so they have ruled out two ... and do understand mechanical does NOT necessarily mean a machine ...

i have had such damage on hosta.. not only from hail... but also twigs falling out of a carp tree in a wind storm.. acorn bombing.. etc ...

when gravity is involved.. its called mechanical ...

ken

ps: any insane squirrel building a nest above???

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 7:41AM
SMS77

There IS actually a large maple tree above it. There are other plants nearby (including a huge hosta) which don't have similar damage, but it does look like only the older leaves on the hydrangea were affected, so maybe some branches fell during a wind storm before the hosta sprouted this year, for example. I never would have thought of mechanical damage, and my nearby garden center didn't know was this was, so I appreciate that Garden Web came through. Thanks! And I never realized there were fast-moving aphids. I've only ever seen slow/motionless ones. But it doesn't seem like there are too many of them on the hydrangea anyway, luckily.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
sick chaya tree
There is a crack on the lower part of the trunk and...
jane2014_ec
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™