small flea-type bugs in Soil

bushypennyJune 23, 2011

I cannot stand since June 2nd I've had an outbreak of tiny flea-type spot bugs in the soil of my flower box...and Mourning doves just gave birth and left. The infestation happened around my garbage can lid, which is 1 foot from my window..(indoors) . I see these tiny spot crawling 'fleas or mites up my walls...even found them in my sheets. I had to get rid of the plant (Perennial) bought four weeks ago. The soil is infested with these tiny -seed-like beige pest bugs. I have to get rid of the soil and everything; a total nightmare. They went running into the soil as I lifted the plant out of the box---- what are they!?? thanks in advance, Larry NYC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Any chance of pictures? Even if they're tiny, sometimes a focused image will help.

One way you could remedy situation is if the window box is removable.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 8:40PM
bushypenny

Well,, I don''t want to just remove the window box; I dug out all the soil..all the small plants; and emptied the box..sprayed a strong/mite insecticide in the whole box and poured BOILING "Water all through it...I will start again next week, new soil...another kind of plant. and no..do not have pictures of the critters, too tiny..just they scatter when provoked or disturbed.they're like tiny beige teensie ; lice or somthing. thanks, Larry

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 3:54PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

What, no nuclear sterilization?!

tj

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
sick chaya tree
There is a crack on the lower part of the trunk and...
jane2014_ec
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™