What kind of snake is this?

chueh(7B)June 16, 2012

Don't dare to get too close to this snake. So the pictures are blurry even for the close-up by using the zoom-in lenses. What kind of snake is this on my cucumber vines?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Look up Brown Snake to see if that's a match. I wish that I had snakes in my garden.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 8:19PM
jeanbrook(9a)

What about a gopher snake? It looks pretty young yet.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 10:48AM
chueh(7B)

Good. As long as it is not venomous. Thank you both

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 4:50PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Wish you had snakes, rhizo? We killed a cottonmouth a few feet away from my Mom's front door yesterday. If I had known, we could have saved him for ya! You probably only want non-killers, though, I hope!

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 9:21AM

I've had more than my fair share of meetings with poisonous snakes, having lived along the coast of SC for a great many years. I've had battles with cottonmouths as well as diamondback rattlers. They grow pretty darned big in those swampy areas of the Lowcountry, lol.

But I really do have an affection for snakes, in general. I used to have a good sized corn snake that lived somewhere around my rental home in Beaufort, SC. It would come out and bask on my front porch. Many nights, it would be there when I came home from teaching in the evening...or from a date. On two occasions, that snake saved me the trouble of having to convince a date that I really WAS tired, thank you very much! lolol

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:03PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

LOL! That really separates the men from the boys!

I've had a pet corn snake twice but the first one escaped and the 2nd one only lived about a year. Those are cute and pretty, IMO, as far as snakes go.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 3:31PM
steven1032

google garden snakes and look at the picture. also see garter snake. they have no teeth and are not poisonous.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 9:13AM
esox07

I will tell you what kind of snake that is....dead!
By the way, I had a buddy once who caught a 3-4 foot garter snake, and after biting him on the tip of his index finger, his finger was bleeding like a garden hose. If it wasn't teeth, then I dont know what would be able to penetrate skin.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 11:18AM

Snakes are carnivores. They should be expected to have teeth of some sort. I'm sorry your buddy was so foolish, but I expect he knows better now. Garters also have fang like teeth in the back of their mouth. However, they are very unlikely to attack a human, or even bite someone who is gently handling them.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 1:11PM
wayne_mo(MO)

It's a Midland Brown Snake. They are very small, harmless, nonvenomous snakes. The little one in the picture is most likely an adult (they are about 9-11 inches long as adults).

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
sick chaya tree
There is a crack on the lower part of the trunk and...
jane2014_ec
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
Aphids? Spider Mite? Thrips?
About a month ago, my husband bought me this plant....
janicenco
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™