2 grape vines, 2 problems. Pics!

farmermiller01June 24, 2011

Hey guys,

I have two grapevines.

One is green grapes (not sure what exactly they are) and the other one is a combination of concord and riber.

The "green grape" grape vine has 3 weird issues. The first is it has "chicken pox", some missing grapes in each bunch and I just noticed an odd shaped vine of leaves growing from the main vine. (also affected with "chicken pox") These aren't the typical grape vine leaf.

The second vine, "concord and riber" grape vine has missing grapes from each bunch and is rotting halfway through.

The "green grape" vine is over 20 years old and the mix of concord and riber is about 2 years old. What can I do to produce fuller bunches without missing grapes and rid them of the chicken pox and rot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dan Staley

I can't see your whole setup nor where you're located, but at that resolution I might see some sort of gall but since we don't know where you are can't work through it. As to the grapes themselves, could be a number of things including pruning, thinning, light availability, and so on but hard to determine with info provided, but if I were to WAG I'd say new vine and provide proper care to get it established to set good fruit...

Dan

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 7:40PM
farmermiller01

I'm located in New York. The light isn't the best since it's located behind a garage and the vine has never been pruned , we just let it grow crazy.

Here is the "green grape" vine.

Here is the concord riber that is 2-3 years old. it was cloned from the picture below which is 20+ years old

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 8:16PM
farmermiller01

I don't know exactly what a "gall" is but it looks like it's rotting from the tip of the grape outwards back to the stem that it grows from.

Here are a few high resolution pictures:

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 8:32PM
farmermiller01

I think this might be black rot. Any idea how to get rid of this junk?

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 9:15PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

The leaves with "chickenpox" are affected by erineum blister mite. On the underside of the raised areas will be a white fuzz which latter in the season turns brown. No treatment because it's insignificant to the vine's health.

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 10:22PM
Dan Staley

You need to take care of the vines properly. Once you do that your pest pressure is reduced to predictable levels. I don't see that mite too often in the arid west, but now that we know you're in the humid east, our job is easier.

So. Start taking care of these plants properly. That will make it much easier on you. Surely your Co Extension has a handout for you.

Dan

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 11:05PM
farmermiller01

Any tips besides visiting the coop extension?

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 1:49PM
farmermiller01

Well I trimmed the vines back and they suggest some antifungal spray. I don't know if it will salvage this years crop.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
Gardening in NC : Help Please
I am starting a garden at a local middle school in...
claymarion
Rabbit catch and release
I've researched all options for removing the rabbit...
beryl469
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Miscoscopic silver insect
Hi, I need help for an identification. I found them...
MerlinMerlin
Hibiscus plant has brown growths on stem
So, I believe this is a hibiscus plant, although it...
stilllucky0
Sponsored Products
Accent Rug: Mandal White 2' 6" x 4'
$88.97 | Home Depot
Korver Corner Sectional (2 piece) - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
Elegant Home Delaney White Floor Cabinet with 2 Doors - 7954
$99.11 | Hayneedle
Lithonia 2x4 Avante Recessed Direct/Indirect, 2 lamp, 32W T8, Single Ballast
LBC Lighting
Stufurhome 60" Galaxy Single Sink Vanity in Cream Finish with Granite Top
Modern Bathroom