Unique Palms

LagoMar(USDA 8/AHS 7)July 5, 2012

European Fan Palms are known to have multiple trunks, but this is the first time I remember seeing a multi-trunked Windmill Palm. I spotted it right here in the Lago Mar neighborhood of Virginia Beach.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bradleyo_gw

As far as I know, they are not multi-trunked palms. It was probably 3 separate palms planted closely together.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 8:17PM
chadec(N.C.7b)

I had a multi trunked windmill from lowes. The second trunk was shorter than the main. But when the winter of 2010 killed the main trunk I had to remove it. It was obvious that they were 2 separate seeds.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 8:41PM
wetsuiter(7b/8a)

I've seen them planted in pots in twos and threes at garden centers. They don't do have pups like Med fans or needles. They looks best when the trio is consisted of three different sized palms.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 11:10PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Sometimes you see them planted as triples, they dont naturally pup like European fan palms, but they can grow in doubles, triples, and occasionally quadruples! I had a double trachy, but the larger of the 2 palms died for no reason in the middle of the summer. The smaller one lived and is still growing today 4 years later.
-Alex

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 3:56PM
tropicbreezent

Nurseries often do multiple seed plantings of single stemmed palms in pots. They often do it with multistemmed palms as well just to get that jungly look a lot faster.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
Sago Palm out of control!
I have 3 sago palms that started as nice small plants....
kkupsh
dead?
I have a Pygmy date palm and I think I killed it. Is...
dollyday3
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™