Star Jasmine Problem - photos

tx419June 23, 2008

Can anyone identify the problem with my Jasmine? It is affecting all my Star Jasmine on new growth and also my yellow jasmine. It starts with little horizontal scratches on mature leaves, and new leaves just shrivel up and turn black. Dark green leaves are not affected but bright green new leaves are.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27808892@N04/

Here is a link that might be useful: Addtl photos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Sun scold. It appears you are watering from above the plant. Water drops on the leaves act as a magnifying glass, so when the sun hits it the plant tissue is scolded. Water from below or before sun up if watering from above.

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 6:55PM
tx419

Actually, the white residue you see on the leaves is Liquid Fence to keep deer from eating the new growth. Real hungry ones here. I water at the base of all my stuff. With these, I Liquid fence them once every week and a half and miracle grow them every two weeks. To try and stop this I have sprayed Orthonex in case it's a bug.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 10:43AM
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

It doesn't look like insect damage or any other disease. I think it is cultural/environmental damage.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 11:36AM
tx419

We'll, its been consistently 95 degrees and above for the last month. Some get full sun, some don't... but all show degrees of this damage. The tallest sprouts seem to show the most problems.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 1:47PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Water droplets on foliage don't cause sun scald or burning. Not to worry about that old husband's tale. :-)

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
Grubs
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
oberci
Question for the 'Regular' contributors
I've noticed a real slow down in this forum since the...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™