Please help!! Vine borers?

StephanieHS(8)June 8, 2014

My pumpkin plants look great but then I
Noticed this at the base of each plant. Also some holes in leaves and little black things like tiny ants. Are these vine borers? I sprayed with sevin btw. Any advice much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob_cville

That sure looks like vine borer damage to me. My condolences. The little black things are not the vine borers, they are icky white grubs that could well still be in the vine.

If you dig it out, and kill it, you might be able to bury the damaged stem and have it grow roots and recover, but in my experience, its a goner.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 6:46PM
StephanieHS(8)

Thanks so much for your help! Though of course definitely bad news!!! I'm torn now between trying trying to cut it out (of all 10 plants) or pulling those plants out and starting over. I'm trying to grow pumpkins for Halloween with my kids and according to seed packets I have enough time if I sow now. What do you advise? Thanks much again :)

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 7:03PM
msmorningsong(SW FL 10A)

I'd use spinosad instead of sevin. Although it's been touted for years as OK to place on veggies, sevin is horrible. Of course, if you're not going to make pies out of the pumpkin,
it's alright, still not good for environment.
This link will tell you about spinosad and controlling squash vine borer, scroll down to chemical control:
http://www.extension.org/pages/65684/biology-and-management-of-squash-vine-borer-in-organic-farming-systems#.U5T0ifldXNl

Also, link to the fallacy of using sevin dust:
http://foodtruthfreedom.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/why-grow-vegetables-and-put-poison-on-them/

Either way, good luck with your pumpkins. A great project the kids will always remember :)

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Lilac Concerns
My lilac plant is... frying? ... Lives in zone 8a One...
kricsten
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™