Planthoppers and ants

feedindyJune 16, 2010

Well I took a close look at my fig tree and it has a small amount of planthoppers and it is crawling with tiny ants. It definitely was not this way last week.

This tree is one I rooted myself last year and it is small (only about 2 feet tall). It is not producing any figs as of yet. It appears lush and healthy besides this week's arrival of pests.

Can anyone suggest a method to rid the plant hoppers and keep ants off of it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

One plant. Two feet tall. I'd use a spray of water.

tj

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 10:46PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Neem is very helpful in keeping plant hoppers from feeding. That is one of its primary uses: an anti-feedant. Once they cease their feeding, and subsequent production of sweet droppings, the ants will likely become less interested.

I'd suggest that you do some leaf tests prior to spraying your whole plant with the Neem. Though a quick look through several postings recommending neem for F. carica, it never hurts to test a new product first. Treat a couple of leaves and watch for any tissue burning for the next few days. I'm sure that there will be no problems.

By all means, try the sprays of water first. I'm just not confidant about how effective that will be against leaf hoppers, who are able to flit away and then come back.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 3:48AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The ants may be aiding you in control of the plant hoppers. Spraying with water could, momentarily, rid you of the plant hoppers but they would return fairly quickly. If Insecticidal Soaps do not help (IPM suggests starting with the least toxic method) then maybe you would consider Neem products.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 8:39AM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

The planthoppers tend to move on down the road after a spray of water. If you Google "planthoppers control water site:.edu" you will see it is recommended as a dispersal tactic.

tj

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™