Coffee grounds to deter squirrels, gophers, etc.

gardningscomplicated(southeast michigan - 5b or 6?)June 13, 2009

I started a thread about acidifying some compost that's too alkaline, and discovered that coffee grounds may be the answer. Now I'm also reading that coffee grounds may be a squirrel deterrent. Does anyone know if that's true? And what about gophers, bunnys, chipmunks, woodchucks, birds, raccoons, and deer? I've got 'em all, and I can only fence out so many. I'm not even going to attempt to fence out the squirrels and gophers. I'm starting a new thread because this is getting off the original topic of the old thread.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

I have put coffee gounds down and watched chipmonks, squirrels, and rabbits romp over that bed with no hesitation so I doubt that they would have any deterent capabilties.
Coffee grounds will not significantly change your soils pH.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 7:47AM
novice_2009(zone 6b)

When I first started my compost pile, I read that coffee grounds would keep out foxes. I've seen a couple, but was more worried about local dogs that get free and run around.
Anyway, all coffee grounds go in my compost pile, and I've had no trouble with wildlife, and we've got racoons, opossums, etc. I built my compost bin out of chicken wire and a four plastic posts, an animal could get in it easily.
Not sure what the coffee grounds do other than disguise the smell of other things, but it's worked for me. No animals in compost pile!

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 9:19AM
lolear(5b - Chicago)

Nothing deters squirrels other than solid fencing, as far as I know! I have raised beds that are completely covered on all sides, just because of the squirrels. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to hear how!

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 9:17PM
gardningscomplicated(southeast michigan - 5b or 6?)

I think my biggest problem is gonna be chipmunks. I originally thought I had gophers, but now I know it's chipmunks. I had 12 yards of compost delivered about 10 days ago, and they already dug a network of tunnels in it. And I see 'em climbing on it every now and then. I don't think that's a good sign. Anyone know a good way to at least minimize the impending devastation? I can't afford to put in a fence with a roof. Electric fencing isn't allowed here, unless it's for "active farmland". And I don't think I could afford to put sheet metal all around it--which I hear does work cuz they can't climb it. Maybe if I planted a small, easily accessible garden just for them, they'd leave my other stuff alone? Anyone ever try that?

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
Possible plant disease?
Hi, Leaves on one of my new hedges have a white powder...
Dean Maunder
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
Question for the 'Regular' contributors
I've noticed a real slow down in this forum since the...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™