Can someone tell me whats wrong with my W. Robusta?

kaotickellyJuly 12, 2012

hello all of you on here. Well the monsoons are here in NM and I tought that it would be a good idea for my palm to get some natural watering so i put it outside and it rains like towards the end of the day or evening. everything was fine until i put it out for some sun like around 11 am to 2 pm and i looked at it and it got wilted, and there are some brown spots on the fronds. So i am wondering if its getting too much rain or sun. or not enough of sun. humm i dont know it was fine. also i just transplanted it into a new bigger pot with the same soil i used to plant it with. The soil is not wet or soggy just a goo moist feel to it and i do bring it inside because of my neighbors cats. so can someone tell me if its going into shock or getting root rot uggh i hope not. all that work for nothing. anyway get at me thanks

kelly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
InsanePalmNinja

I Notice my Hybird is doing the same thing as well. No Idea what could be wrong. But my American Dersert Palm is Exploding those.

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 8:59PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

If anything it's probably too much sun. If it has been indoors for a long time it can take a while to get used to sun again.
I cant give too much advice on washingtonias because I have tried to grow them in pots and failed. It would put out maybe 2 fronds a year and then go half dead indoors and repeat the process all over again.
-Alex

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 9:02PM
kaotickelly

wow those palms are big i dont see anything wrong with them except that they are kinda yellowing at the stem base and Alex yeah i figured that its not that use to the sun quite yet i guess??? llol but thanks for the feedback.

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 9:24PM
RichardC7(6b-7a)

They look amazing! mine came through the mail half dead :/ but im nursing it back to health.... The yellowing at the tips may be from over-watering?

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 1:20AM
alex_7b(7b/8a)

They probably don't get enough water in the pots to satisfy them unless you water them yourself.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 8:51PM
kaotickelly

hey RichardC7 how are you nursing it back to health? and alex-7b i do give them a good watering. i dont think thats the problem i think that i over waterd it but idk

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 9:49PM
RichardC7(6b-7a)

Kaotickelly- I've just been pruning all the brown tips/dead leaves.... and fertilizing better. I'm just taking extra care :-)

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 10:23PM
LagoMar(USDA 8/AHS 7)

When I bought a Wash. Filifera a couple of years back, the instructions with it said to shade it from direct sun until it is established. I'm guessing it got a little scorched b/c not used to the sun. Should bounce back fine though, as Washingtonias rebound quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 11:14PM
InsanePalmNinja

Am also going to say my Wash. Filifera is doing better than my Hybrid is. Then again, Its must of been outside for most of its life. Washingtonias are faster tan a B*tch. But my Mute Palm is way faster.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 5:44PM
jimhardy

...And quieter.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 10:20AM
wetsuiter(7b/8a)

@Jim. Funny man!!!

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
Sago Palm out of control!
I have 3 sago palms that started as nice small plants....
kkupsh
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Trimming Cycad Fronds
I have two King Sago Palms, in pots, in my enclosed...
mamaheel
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™