leaves cupped up on beans, dahlias, tomatoes

reebiemacJune 21, 2012

A couple weeks ago the new growth on my pole beans was all malformed and cupped-no spotting or discoloration though. I did some research and it sounded like mosaic virus, so I pulled them up and the roots had little, white nodules on them. Several days after that, I noticed the same thing was happening to my dahlia leaves then my datura. I've pulled the ones that look infected-no nodules on the roots of these though. Today I noticed that my tomato plants are developing the same thing on their new leaves. Can the same strain of mosaic virus affect this many different species? There has been no discoloration on any of these plants yet. Could it be something else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steven1032

really need a picture of the cupping. usually cupping is from over watering but cannot tell without picture. what do you mean by malformed. sometimes nutrient defieincy and weed killer spray can be confused with mosiac.
the white nodules on the beans are suppose to be there. they help the bean plant fix nitrogen.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 10:13PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Or herbicide?

Need pictures!

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 2:00AM
reebiemac

I've been gardening for years and I know they aren't being overwatered. There's no nutrient deficiency, and I don't use any herbicides or weed killers. The only thing I use and used last year as well has been neem oil and Captain Jack's Dead Bug, but I haven't even used those on the vegetable plants.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:16AM
reebiemac

More photos- can't seem to get more than one per message

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:18AM
reebiemac

More photos- can't seem to get more than one per message

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:19AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Herbicide. Probably 2,4-D.

If absolutely no herbicide was used in the vicinity to spot kill weeds or on the lawn, perhaps as weed/feed, then consider contaminated organic matter, including manures, composted or not.

See http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/soilmgmt/clopyralid.htm
read the info and run the easy-to-do bioassay.

Here is a link that might be useful: contaminated manures, etc

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 3:30PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

You may not have used herbicides but a garden "helper" or neighbor may have.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 3:32PM
reebiemac

I did some reading on the clopyralid, and one thing that makes me skeptical of it being that is that so far anyway, my peas and lettuce have not been affected and it sounds like those two things are really susceptible to it. They're planted in the same general area as the tomato and beans too. If a neighbor put herbicide down, do you know how far it can spread or travel? The compost I used is from one of the biggest compost companies in VT so I would be surprised if it was from that since I haven't heard anyone else complaining of this yet, but I'll ask around.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 9:58PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

re how far can it travel -- miles, on a breeze.

Do the bioassy, too.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 11:34PM
steven1032

To much water. Over fert. Herbacide drift. I had a early girl that did this. It went away eventually. We were having a drought at the time.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 4:45PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

If it is herbicide-- and it is -- the plants can grow out of the damage, but it depends upon how large a dose was received in the first place.

Curled & deformed growth due to drought conditions looks *far* different than that from herbicide.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 6:48PM
reebiemac

Thanks. I'll do the bioassy and try to figure out how to remedy the damage. I read something about putting activated charcoal in the soil so maybe I'll see if I can get ahold of some of that.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 9:48PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

If the problem is contaminated organic matter, the how to remedy is described in the clopyralid docs.

Some plants aren't affected. You can plant those.
Then, too, it all can be composted.

Adding charcoal is the messiest project ever, with large amounts of the stuff that need to be mixed in. Don't recall if charcoal is listed in the clopyralid docs or not. If not, it's not worth doing.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 10:44AM
steven1032

let it grow out of it.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 12:23PM
steven1032

mites

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 1:30PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

arrrgh!

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 5:25PM
reebiemac

It was compost contamination. There was a big article in the paper today and it was on the local news last night. So frustrating to have spent so much time and money and more money on compost that's now killing everything! It can't grow out of it Steven as it's in the soil for a couple years and will eventually kill a lot of plants unless I can do something to reverse it. I think I might have read about the charcoal in your link Jean. I'll look again and do what it says to try to save my garden :(

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 8:43PM
ahscards

"If it is herbicide-- and it is -- the"

Funny how someone who isnt even on site "knows" that it is herbicide. My tomatoes are doing the same thing ( although not every leaf on every plant), and I know it isnt herbicide. We are also in a drought, along with a heat wave, 108-113 degrees everyday for the last 6 days. I have been watering more than usual,,, but I dont think that is my problem. I have seen it before, with no long term damage.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 9:59PM
reebiemac

Well, jean may not have physically been here, but knew from the pictures that it was herbicide damage and she was right. It is confirmed herbicide contaminated compost. It's not just tomatoes either. It's legumes, dahlias, and datura as well so far.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 10:05PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

reebiemac,

Sorry to hear that it was contaminated manures. The material is used by so many gardeners who are expecting abundant harvests. Instead, the nasty outcome is truly heart-breaking.

Re-read the clopyralid docs & take time to digest what's in them. You can grow a number of things this year without problems.

Then by managing the garden area as directed in the docs, the soil will be fine within a year. To be certain, bio-assay that year's compost before you put it in the soil or put in any sensitive plants.

But all in all, you've learned a valuable lesson for future years: Bio-assay any added organic matter before adding it to your garden areas.
This guideline applies to all compost, that composted on the farm or commercially or even the bagged stuff, as a just-in-case preventive measure.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 12:49PM
steven1032

i had the problem one year. it must of not been a lot because the tomatos grew out of it. if you look at your garden a herbicide drift will leave a spray drift pattern.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 8:18PM
PSUhorty

reebiemac,
FYI, the nodules on your beans are completely normal and healthy. Most legumes have nitrogen fixation nodules on their roots to increase Nitrogen availability. To be sure, break one of the nodules and it will appear pinkish inside.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Magnolia champaca- loosening of the leaves
As shown in the picture this Magnolia champaca planted...
b42anuradha
Help! My Coleus Has Yellowing, Dying Leaves
I have an unknown variety of coleus; spent last summer...
linuschris
Can I fix these split branches?
I have two different bushes/shrubs that have split...
dblank
yellow raised spots/bumps on tomatillo leaves
Hi guys, I've got some tomatillo plants that are developing...
kuvaszlvr
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™