whats eating my plants??

GretchieGardenJune 23, 2011

I am new to gardening and just had my beautiful Mallow plant cleaned of its leaves, and today found my hollyhock and coneflower leaves gone...the Mallow was tall so I ruled out bunnies. My neighbor thinks she saw a gopher...if so how do I get rid of it. We can't find any tunnels. HELP!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

A 4-foot tall gopher would be interesting indeed. Pix plz.

Dan

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 9:17PM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

Could you have a groundhog? Those are exactly the plants that they went after in my garden - watch your roses, if you have any: they love them too.
Groundhogs live in burrows deep underground, but don't make tunnels all over the place, just a couple leading to the main burrow. The one in our yard that we FINALLY trapped had the main tunnel opening under our garden shed.
They are smart, can climb, are about the size of a good-sized cat, and are a pain in the butt. If that's what you've got, you or an exterminator will have to trap it and take it really, really far away. Then you will have to fill in as much of the tunnel you can get at, or else another one will move right in (personal experience,here). The first step will be finding the tunnel opening - look under overhanging bushes, under porches, under garages, and look for piles of dirt.
Good luck!

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 10:08PM
tracey_nj6(6)

Never rule out the bunnies. They can nibble at the base, then it falls, then they devour. Only my baby bunnies eat my plants, the adults rarely. Put money on the woodchuck/groundhog; they have no problems devouring tall plants.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 5:02PM
tracey_nj6(6)

Dang, I had a large pot loaded with old seed I decided to throw down and loads of seedlings sprouted. They were just getting to a just under a foot tall and wouldn't you know it, the woodchuck mowed them down. Grrrrrrr...

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 10:51AM
More Discussions
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™