Lantana is Under Siege

yenntaJune 14, 2010

Sorry if I've posted, uh, three times. I'm just getting the hang of this forum. The first post didn't have enough pictures, the second disappeared. 3rd Time the charm?

This is a tough plant, nearly died from whatever this is last year. Any suggestions as to 1. what is it? 2. what can I do about it?

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 photobucket shots of lantana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Still a little tough to see details in the small images other than the close up of the leaf.

But now that I know it's lantana, likely the problem is Entomosporium leaf spot. Very common during rainy weather. In other words, they can look quite tough by the end of winter Some can lose all leaves.

Sprays won't help at this point. The only use for them is to protect the new growth while environmental conditions are correct for the disease.

One of the usual suggestions is to avoid overhead watering. Can't do much about rainfall, but can avoid sprinkler irrigation or frequent hosing them off. They do very well when quite dry, as long as they are well established.

Jean
who gardened in Long Beach, CA, for 30-some years.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 10:33PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Fotos not much help, but along jean's lines I found in Sacto that lantana doesn't like too much water and hard overhead water caused leaf damage that fostered fungal growth. They also appreciate good drainage and little fert. My impression from lo-quality fotos is a general overall unhappiness allowing pathogen attack. If there is salt in your water and overhead watering, that's the main culprit.

Dan

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 8:56AM
yennta

Thanks, all. I didn't know I could use larger images if I used photobucket. (The leaf will get a lot bigger if you click on it.) Anyway, here's an attempt to show more of the detail of the plant.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 10:10PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Grew those things for years. And if OP is in SoCal, yes, the water is high in soluble salts.

The problem is a fungal leaf spot caused by Entomosporium. The underlying cause is an overhead water source - rain or irrigation.

When I lived in CA -- left 13 yrs ago -- only management was no overhead water, plus prune off nastiest branches. If well established, it will grow back quite rapidly. Perhaps the recommendations have changed.

that said, fungicide is applied to protect new growth. Nothing gets rid of existing spots/disease except pruning.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 10:57PM
yennta

Thanks, Jean. I'll only water at the roots, cut off the bad branches and try to find a good fungicide.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 12:44AM
More Discussions
Grubs
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
oberci
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™