What's eating my plants?!

doravecJune 23, 2013

Hey everybody! I am loving this hot weather right now and everything is growing amazingly! I do have a few concerns though, something seems to be making small meals of my potato and pepper leaves...I'm attaching a few pictures of the leaves. Let me know what it could be. I do not want to spray any pesticides, but would rather use something natural; ie. a homemade spray or another plant that has a repelling smell, or something inviting to predators of the bug, etc. Thanks everybody ahead of time!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doravec

Another picture.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 10:48PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

That looks like slug, or snail, damage to me.
Cold caffienated coffee sprayed on the leaves can help, shallow containers of stale beer (or yeast mixed in water) placed in the soil can also help. Sharp edged material, egg shells, Diamotaceous Earth, in pretty large quantities, might also help. Encouraging predators of slugs, toads, snakes, birds, to hang around can reduce populations as well.
Slugs, and snails, need a cool, moist environment to live in so eliminating any place, rocks, boards, mulches where those conditions are can also help.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 7:13AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Have you seen any telltale slime trails on the soil or plants? Caterpillars could also be a culprit ; there are several kinds which may be found in the dark with a flashlight while you're looking for slugs!

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Question for the 'Regular' contributors
I've noticed a real slow down in this forum since the...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™