moonplant in bloom

OklaMoniSeptember 7, 2012

I really should have trimmed the spent flowers off first... but early morning coolness is used to ride to work, and late evening hotness is spent hiding out inside with the AC on.

However, it did bloom really nice a couple of nights ago.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
okievegan

Is that the one I gave you? I thought it had died...

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 11:23AM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

It looks great, Moni!

Okievegan, Often if the heat is insane they will seem to die, but they usually rebound. Most of mine grow too far from the house to irrigate, and they do just fine. Even if they drop leaves in summer from a lack of moisture, they usually leaf out again after it rains and then go crazy in autumn with flowering, just like your Mom's.

Dawn

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 11:26AM
OklaMoni

Sweetie, I had to shade it for a week or so after I transplanted it, and eventually it rebounded. But it didn't start blooming till we had that cooler time, a while back.

Mom

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 2:13PM
okievegan

So what you are saying is that I can take partial credit for the beauty that it is adding to your backyard. :)

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 9:15PM
TraceyOKC(7)

Moni your Moonplant is beautiful! Mine has stayed small with few blooms. I hope mine will do better with the cooler weather.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 11:02PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Moonflower or Datura blooms in cycles. It will have a big flush of bloom for a couple weeks, and then rest for awhile before throwing up another flush of blooms.

I don't know if it's really necessary, but I always deadhead mine, too, before it can set seed, especially since all of the hoopla about kids using the seed pods as some kind of drug or hallucinogenic. If I don't deadhead it, I get lots of little seedlings in late spring/early summer.

The honeybees really go after the nectar deep within the flowers. They get downright territorial in the morning when I am trying to remove the spent flowers. Geez, guys, move over, there's plenty of room here.

Susan

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 6:56AM
More Discussions
Squash Resistant to Squash Bug and Squash Vine Borer
According to Jay White at Texas A&M University,...
chickencoupe
tomatoes are popping
was late starting my first flat. they are starting...
oldokie
Cross pollination of mixed packet of flower seeds?
If I have a packet of mixed carnations, for example,...
chickencoupe
Atwoods Seed Potato Sale $2.99/5lb 3/1/2015
2015 Atwoods Seed Potato Sale $2.99 5lb as of this...
chickencoupe
chili peppers
I am totally confused what is a chili pepper. this...
oldokie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™