Sunflower unidentified black spots

akdahlia(7)June 4, 2010

Hi, I this my first year growing sunflowers, and I kinda went nuts. I don't have any giant ones, just velvet and autumn mixes. All grown from seed inside and transferred outside after second set of true leaves. I have noticed that they are growing exponentially but they have also been getting some black spots on them and some are shriveling at the top. I was so excited for these flowers I hope I can save them (or at least prevent it in the future) I just need help identified the problem. I've asked gardening friends and they don't have a clue. I suspect some fungus or mold. There are MANY more pictures of different sunflowers that look just like this one. It's been REALLY wet here over the past couple months. (Yes I know it's WA state, but it's really been raining!) Please help me help my sunflowers by identifying this issue! Thank you for your time!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Is there a plant/plants hanging over the fence that could be infested with insects creating this black soot that appears to be covering the ground around the plant? Or is that my eyes playing tricks with a shadow? Or is it just my eyes?
If what's wrong with your plants was caused by excessive moisture, it could be a fungus. There are many fugicides available. Neem, Cinnamon or sulfur comes to mind.

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 12:05AM
akdahlia(7)

The one shown in the picture is next to a peony and a rhody. neither are hanging over it. But I have sunflowers all over and some are quite by themselves not next to other plants or fences. I am really quite new to gardening myself (grew up planting with my mom in Alaska, and just bought a house less than a year ago) so I am not sure exactly what to use in this case. I think your are right with the excessive moisture/fungus thing. I will research and try the items you mentioned! Thanks for the input, I really wasn't sure what to make of it or use!

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 12:55AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Rather than use aafungicde or something else, we need to find out what's there.

Have you looked inside the curled leaves. Could be aphids, sucking tissue, producing honeydew, which then is covered with sooty mold. Or not.

In any event, always best to find out what you're shooting at before you fire!

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 1:00AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

With that resolution, very very hard for a diagnosis. Initial guess would be fungal, but with the tiny size of the pic provided, just a WAG.

Dan

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 9:34AM
akdahlia(7)

I have some other photos, ill try to switch them. I have not found ANY bugs/eggs on them or near them!

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 8:58PM
akdahlia(7)

hmm ran out of time for now to figure out how to post html photo, not even sure if I can in the forum but here is a link to another photo...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31266746&l=29829c15ef&id=64200046

Here is a link that might be useful: Another photo

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 9:08PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Interesting discoloration. But I still don't know what it is. However, now I can see that the soil is wet rather than moldy as some had suspected.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 12:43AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Not much better pic. Definitely interesting challenge for diagnosis - surely the one lf with discoloration along veins is a confounding factor. Based on the description, until more info arises, I'm sticking with fungal but not more than 75% convinced.

Dan

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 9:47AM
akdahlia(7)

Yeah, I did buy a fungal/mold spray and I have applied to to 3 plants. I will see how it goes and keep you updated!

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 3:12PM
BloomingLate

I too am new to sunflowers outside of one or two I have grown randomly in the past. This year I planted several varieties and have had a lot of success. They are beautiful! However, black spots have started appearing on most of the leaves of all varieties. Some leaves have holes eaten through them, as well. I also have noticed a heavy concentration of black ants. There are no plants in front or behind them but there are Terminix bait traps (for termites) for my neighbor's house within inches of the bed. It never occurred to me that this could be a problem until I put it in writing just now. I have removed all of the leaves that have spots or are dead. Is there anything I can do for them, or will the proximity to the traps always be an issue? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Picassa Plant Issues

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
Grubs
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
oberci
Aphids? Spider Mite? Thrips?
About a month ago, my husband bought me this plant....
janicenco
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Question for the 'Regular' contributors
I've noticed a real slow down in this forum since the...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™