Aphids taking over balcony plants!

DuaneaJuly 26, 2011

I have a big problem with aphids both inside and outside my apartment. The problem started with an indoor basil plant about 2 years ago and now every plant I get either indoor or outdoor seems to eventually become infested with aphids until it dies. I have an insect repellent which I have used but usually that seems to do more damage to the plant that the aphids. I know ladybugs are natural predators of aphids so I was wondering is it possible to but them and introduce them to the plant as a natural control method?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

I have an insect repellent which I have used but usually that seems to do more damage to the plant that the aphids.

3rd most common question on this board during the year. Many, many threads describe this issue. Search for 'insecticidal soap'.

Dan

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 11:39AM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

"Search for 'insecticidal soap'."

Or "aphids...spray with water".

tj

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 6:57PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Aphids can be easily controle with just a sharp spray of water to knock them off the plant. Aphids prefer to feed on lush green growth usually caused from excess Nitrogen use. You could use an Insecticidal Soap spray, which also would knock the wee buggers off the plant where they would die anyway, but the plain water is just as effective. Some people think that because the next generation of Aphids appears the ones they just knocked off the have returned, but by the time you see an Aphid you can have at least 5 generations on the plant and those are the ones you see so you do need to spray again. You would also need to do that with the Insecticidal Soap.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 12:09PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Or simply squish them.

To tell the truth, aphids are a fact of life for plants and anyone who tries to grow plants, indoors or out.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 10:43PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

I seldom see Aphids on any of my plants indoors or outdoors. Insect pest problems are not there on plants growing in a good healthy soil.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 7:12AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Not true. Pest insects can and will be found on plants growing in 'good healthy soil'. The plants, however, are more likely to be able to tolerate an infestation and recuperate more rapidly.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 3:47PM
Duanea

Ok thanks. I have been squishing them and spraying them, its going to be a long process!!

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 6:58AM
More Discussions
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™