Late Summer Pics

gatrafficAugust 10, 2011

Some of these windmills are over 7' in just 5-7 years from small plants and no winter protections here in Marietta, GA.

Banana's have been in 2 years with the larger getting the end of the AC condensate hose for watering.

The needle palms do very poorly with very slow growth.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andyandy(6bMI)

Awesome, I wish I could do that. Have you ever tried any Sabals in the ground?

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 2:22PM
gatraffic

Any other palms will die off in winter.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 5:14PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Nice pics! I wish it wasnt late summer, but unfortunately, it is. I have heard reports of Sabal Palmettos doing very well in Atlanta, GA. Im sure a cold winter will knock them out, but they are pretty cheap anyway. And of course, Sabal minor, Sabal Birmingham, Sabal lousiana, and Sabal Brazoria are just a few Sabals that would do well by you. And Trachycarpus Nanital is a beautiful trachy too!
But your palms are doing great ! Those are extremely healthy and full! Some hate trachys, but they are beautiful IMO.

-Alex

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 11:20PM
mastiffhoo(7)

Looking good. I love the way you have them throughout your yard!

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 7:44AM
chadec7a

Not sure what zone your in, but I have an Tifton hardy sabal seedlings. From an hotel in Tifton Ga. these are cold hardy to zone 7b. Regardless the palms you have look awesome.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 11:49AM
butiaman(8a Douglasville,GA.)

Hey gatraffic,
Looks like all your Trachy's are doing just fine.As Alex said there are several other palms that will live in our zone 8a.I have 2 green european fans,8 silver european fan palms doing great.I also have 4 Sabal minors and a Sabal birmingham thriving here.Trachycarpus fortuneis just are the best palm for our climate and soil conditions,according to the Southeastern Palm Society.
Randy

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 1:18PM
gatraffic

Hi Randy:

I have way too many palms around my yard so I'm not planting anymore, just put the last 2 small ones in last fall and they have taken off. They were Home Depot leftovers. The Bananas do great but require constant moisture, also planted some grass plants last fall pampass and maiden grasses and they are doing great.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 4:38PM
butiaman(8a Douglasville,GA.)

gatraffic,
I've just got started good.My Bananas up by the road are all about 12ft tall this year.I've got to do something with some of them,there is about 30 of them now,they just keep multiplying.I give mine 19-19-19 fertilizer once a month in spring and summer,one pound per clump.The way I look at it one could never have to many palm trees.But I've got to many banana trees,LOL.Love the pictures,stop by again sometime when your out this way.
Randy

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 11:15PM
jimhardy

Palms have really grown,they look great!

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Areca seeds germinating
For years my palm was seeding but something always...
tropicbreezent
Sago Palm out of control!
I have 3 sago palms that started as nice small plants....
kkupsh
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™