Strange hummingbird sight

greenacreslady(7)September 22, 2011

This morning I looked out the window to see something very strange on the hummingbird feeder. When I looked closer, it was a hummer hanging upside down with its beak pointed toward the ground. We wondered if it was dead, so my husband walked outside to check on it, and it suddenly uprighted itself and flew off into one of the nearby trees. We've never seen anything like it and now we're wondering if they sleep hanging upside down.

Suzie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Yes, it is a hibernation-like state called torpor. Cool, huh?

Susan

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 4:13PM
greenacreslady(7)

It is cool, Susan! I had no idea they did that, and now I wish I had taken a picture of it hanging there.

Suzie

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 10:06PM
Pallida(Zone 7b)

I live in South Central OK, and haven't seen a Hummer in several days, so assuming they have already gone South for Winter. I miss their cheerful little chirping, but know this is normal timing for them. They will be back next Spring.........

Jeanie

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 3:18PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Jeanie, my RT hummers were still here in OKC as of yesterday. So you may at least see the migrating birds yet.

Their little chittering is a welcome sound, isn't it? Sometimes I know they're there before I see them.

I have never seen the spring migrators. I put out feeders for them, but they bypass me until around July when I start seeing the juveniles that leave the nest, so you're lucky to see them in spring.

Susan

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 7:46AM
Pallida(Zone 7b)

Susan,
yes, I leave out a feeder for the migrators til the end of October. Saw one this AM, all by him/her self. Mine start showing up by June, as a rule. I don't have a lot, but around six, or so. When I lived in town in OKC, it was more difficult to get them started. This year, I think they struggled to find natural food, since so much plant material succombed to the heat!

Jeanie

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Well, that's the end of my garden...
Class 5 water restrictions in Duncan. No exceptions....
wbonesteel
Red Dirt plant sale at Atwoods
3 packs of veggies and flowers are .69 cents and 4...
jdlaugh
Intercropping Tomatoes
with Sweet corn? Is it doable? with so many tomato...
chickencoupe
Gogi berry bush
3 years ago I was gifted a tiny gogi berry plant. ...
c1nicolei
Mold Beneath Hay Mulch
I've probably been listening/reading to too much noise....
chickencoupe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™