HELP!.....Spiders & Webs....my yard looks like Halloween

piscesgirlJuly 25, 2006

We just purchased a home that has tons of spiders outside. Our bushes have spider webs all over them. I feel like our front flower beds are decorated for Halloween! It seems as soon as I take a broom and get rid of a spider web....a few days later there is another one in it's place.

Where do all of these spiders come from? Is there a way to make our yard less desirable for spiders? Do they typically live in a certain environment?

Is there something we can do to control them from coming back? Most of the bug sprays I have seen are for things like beetles.....is there a bug spray that would work on spiders to keep them from forming webs in our bushes?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

spiders are your friends.. they are predators of many problem insects.. i would hestitate to get rid of them ... they may be there because another problem pest is in high population ....

where are you .. was the house vacant? ....

take a deep breath .. i know you hate spiders... but dont create bigger problems ...

first step i recommend.. see if spiders are a problem for your new neighbors.. if not.. then you dont need to nuke the place ... they are there for a reason ..

what if they are keeping the blood sucking skeeters in check .. which would you rather have??.. i will take the spiders ...

this years spike in population, for whatever reason .. may not be there next year ...

and try to ID the spiders... i guess i am presuming you have plain old spideys.. and not dangerous ones..

good luck.. ken

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 12:12PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

If there is any way to take a good image or two and post it here, we can ID your spider for you. Unless you want to try your hand at a verbal description of the critter and her web.....some people aren't too good at that, lol!

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 4:33PM
piscesgirl

I haven't really seen any of the spiders. Just the webs. But where there are webs....there are spiders.

Our house was never vacant, but we live in a very wooded area, so I am sure we have all sorts of other insects and creatures.

I am not really afraid of having spiders. I am just sick and tired of pulling spider webs out of our bushes, windows, porch railing, etc.

So I take it there is nothing I can do....just the nature of the beast.

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 8:23PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You might try going out with a flashlight to try to find one in the dark, when they are likely to be active.

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 6:12AM
More Discussions
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™