Does anyone have a groundhog repellant recipe?

donnaroeJuly 12, 2014

We have large green tomatoes that they are eating like candy. The shoots of my pickles that are coming out of an enclosed area are getting eaten off. Is there a home made recipe that anyone knows works? I have a home made spray recipe for deer which contains eggs, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, etc that works pretty well for deer. But last year it did not seem to help the groundhog problem. Everyone here knows the work that goes into tending and making a garden. It all goes to waste when these greedy animals come to dine. I love nature, but this is too much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

You will find a lot of items being sold as very good repellants but aside from being expensive they do not work for long as good as saucers of Ammonia placed around your garden.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:36AM
lazy_gardens

Iron or steel mesh placed in a continuous ring around the garden.

Not much deters them except a barrier they can't climb or dig under.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:40AM
donald355

coyote urine from your neighborhood hunting supplier

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 6:46AM
Bloomin_Onion(2/3)

Why not just resort to poison. I hate to see animals suffer, but I hate more my groceries getting munched up by little rodents playing hide and go steal with my veggies.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 10:45PM
alley_cat_gw

I would trap them before they multiply all over the place. Live or kill traps...i would trap them.

Al

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 1:19PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

A large havahart trap followed by a .410 shotgun or a 30 gallon garbage can full of water or nearby river.

Nothing else works. Believe me, I've tried.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 3:39PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

If using predator urine actually did work you would not find these buggers wandering around where the predators are, but they do wander around and do not appear to pay much attention to that stuff.
Live trapping sounds like it might be a good idea, but then what do you do with the animal you have trapped. Many states have laws that prohibit unlicensed people from relocating living wildlife.
Many places also have laws that prohibit the discharge of firearms, so many people do not have that option, either.
Poisons may target other animals, not just those you want to target. Many states today ban those poisons.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:27AM
More Discussions
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™