Properly watering container super hots.

stoneys_fatali(9b Duarte,Ca.)April 19, 2014

When re-potting a Trinidad Scorpion this morning, I noticed on top (finger 1" down) was completely dry.
I noticed while transferring to the new pot, the soil was still very moist by the roots and bottom of pot.
My question is when do you really know your container peppers need more water without overdoing it?
Thanks!

-Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
obchili

As a newbie, please allow me to give this a shot. On my peppers indoors (still an average of about 40F here) my peppers in 4" pots/containers start to show they need water by the leaves shriveling up, and branches starting to go limp. This got to the extreme early this week, by me being away for 2 1/2 days. I watered late Sunday before leaving and when I returned home Wednesday afternoon, the larger plants were rather wilted. I then bottom fed them and a few hours later all was back to normal. So I would venture to say by when they start to wilt, feed them.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:01PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Well, you sort of get a feel for it...watching the plant's reaction, wilting, et cetera. But for many growers, one of the easiest tricks is to use a wooden kabob skewer or rough chopstick stuck deep into the pot. When you think you might need to water, pull the skewer out and check it for moisture. If the skewer seems to be dry most of the way down, definitely water.

Josh

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:01PM
stoneys_fatali(9b Duarte,Ca.)

Ok Josh, thanks for the tip.

I started my Scorpions as seedlings. When they had their first real leaves, about 8 of them, the plant would wilt badly then within minutes perked back up..it was thirsty.
Now it's outside in a container and has shown no sign of wilting but has dropped a couple big bottom baby leaves.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:28PM
pepperdave

Looks to me like your already getting a feel for it. Your plants will tell you. Treat them individually some dry out faster then others. I have 480 + plants and spend Hrs. a day going through them, dont know many people that devoted but its my life and every plant has become part of it. 25 years of this and I still do it every year. Im starting to move them in and out now so in a few weeks things will get better

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 8:49AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

> " Your plants will tell you."

+1

I grow plants of various sizes in pots of various sizes, so early on (after everyone is in their final pots) I let the ones that dry out the quickest get my attention. Then I check the others with a moisture probe to see where they stand in relation to the complainers. After a few reps of this you get a feel for who needs what. For instance, I found that the big morugas were rarely the complainers, but needed a lot more water than the usual complainers (smarmy red fataliis in 3 gal pots).

As a result the complainers tell me when to water. Then I water everyone but let my experience with the probe guide me as to roughly how much water each pot needs.

You could attend to each plant individually as it complains, but I found my way to be more efficient of time.

Dennis

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 1:37PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I have a CHEAP pH meter that has a moisture mode too. That alone is worth 14 bucks. So I am going to put it into test and use it when in doubt. Otherwise I will know it. I pick a certain week day to water, Like Sundays. Then if I see a COMPLAINER, I might do it then too.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 2:49AM
More Discussions
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™