Mango seedlings leaf problems

JoseMariaChavez(8)July 26, 2014

A few couple of weeks ago I planted some mango seeds, which grew just fine (healthy, fast and sturdy). The ones that grew the faster were two Tommy Atkins's seeds which are the ones appearing in the images. Nowadays, some of the leaves in one of them are kind of "burning", but only in certain parts of them. Several only have one little spot that dries up and make its surroundings of the leaf shrivel, or appeared in the borders, which make the leaf curl up.

In addition, a leaf of the first tree seem (in my opinion ,taking in mind that I planted them at the same time, and the other tree's leaves are more green) to be quite yellow, with some dark veins... (the picture does'nt show the leaf affected) PLEASE help me out

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

They'll have a tough time indoors with the resulting low light and (probably) heat level.
Any reason they can't go outdoors and into the ground?

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 3:53PM
JoseMariaChavez(8)

I live in a desertic area, and being mangoes tropical plants, I'm afraid they'll wither. Besides, the soil in my backyard is quite compressed and poor.

Should I be taking them outside??? Will they live in the "desertic" conditions?

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 3:47PM
JoseMariaChavez(8)

Also, should I put them in direct sunlight, or is indirect sunlight fine.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 3:52PM
lascatx

Mine have been outdoors in pots since we got them. Houston has more humidity that it sounds like you have, but they made it through our drought summers. I nearly lost one wintering in our garage, but it broke out in full leaf once it got back outside. I'd try it -- make sure they get enough water. Mine have been both out in the open sun and under a patio with mostly filtered sun, but more than it appears you have in that photo.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 3:54PM
JoseMariaChavez(8)

I live in El Paso, Texas. It's supposed to be "rainy season", but taking in mind that El Paso is in the middle of a desert, we don't have much humidity nor precipitation, so the sun is harsh and the environment utterly dry. Also my backyard is full of critters and this day I experimented with the healthiest seedling I had, but after a while outside I noticed these tiny spiders running up and down the stem and the leaves, so that leaves my with two questions:

- Don't mango trees need a wet environment to thrive, or at least grow in a far more humid place?

- Managing and dealing with the critters (mainly bad or pests) wouldn't mean an extra effort and extra money wasted?

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™