Name This Weed Please!

miraje(7a)September 8, 2012

I have a weed spreading aggressively through my lawn that I think was introduced by the Norman city compost I spread on the backyard a few years ago. It grows low to the ground radially from a single taproot and forms clusters of white, spikey seed pods. I took a few pictures of them:

Any thoughts on what it is or how to eradicate it? Thanks!

Heather

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Round Up to eradicate. I couldn't find your weed. Click to see somewhat larger pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: not what you are looking for but interesting to me

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 1:04PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I am finding my weeds but not yours. At least I'm bumping your post. I am still looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: more not what you are looking for

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 1:23PM
miraje(7a)

It would take a lot of Roundup. It covers most of my backyard and is making its way into the front yard, and we're on 1.5 acres. Thanks for looking, though!

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 6:57PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Is it that short or has it been mowed. If you have any unmowed taller plants, a picture would help. Can you describe the flowers? You provided a good picture but it is hard to see the small flowers or seeds that look grey or silver colored to me. Are the leaves hairy?

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 7:55PM
miraje(7a)

Sorry for the delay in responding. It grows along the ground, so the seed heads only end up about six inches above the ground even without mowing. These are in a spot that hasn't been mowed in weeks if not a month. DH mowed the lawn finally yesterday, but I might still have some growing around my garden that I can get a closer picture of. I'll try tomorrow.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:18PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I have looked through all my books and pictures on line. Have you tried putting a picture on Name that Plant. People on there see identifying plants as a puzzle, but you need a clear picture for them to work with. I can't tell if the leaves are hairy, if the veins are parallel, what the little seed heads look like.

Here is a link that might be useful: look for Name that plant near the bottom

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 9:59AM
MiaOKC

I shall name her Jessica... Oh, wait. I've been searching, and found this cool site you might try. I cannot see enough detail in your pic to fill out the questions. Also, there is an extensive catalog of photos on that same site, but again, didn't see what you had or couldn't tell well enough.

As for eradication, I would have MSMA sprayed on it (I don't think they sell homeowners MSMA anymore, I just have some leftover, but I think our yard service still uses it for spot treatment). It has to be warm for it to work, though, mid 80s at least I believe.

Also, when I haven't been able to find a weed before, I will take my bottle of roundup or MSMA and google each of the "weeds controlled" it lists until I can find it. Tedious but usually has worked!

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed Finder

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 1:49PM
mulberryknob

It looks a bit like Florida purslane, Richardia scabra, in a weed guide I have. "Summer annual, weak stems, much branched, prostrate, ascending. Leaves opposite, one to three inches, oval, thickened. Tubular, white flowers crowded in leaf axils." Does that sound like it.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Asparagus bed
I have been trying to figure out where to put an asparagus...
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
2015 Spring Fling/Swap
Let me introduce myself….I am the Spirit of Oklahoma Gardenweb...
okspringfling
tornados
I am so freakin sick of tornados!
Amanda Odom
Gogi berry bush
3 years ago I was gifted a tiny gogi berry plant. ...
c1nicolei
Organic straw
Anyone know of a source for organic straw? I want to...
draej
Sponsored Products
Ciak Letto Bed
| Italy Design
Andover 36" Traditional Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - White
Modern Bathroom
Benidorm Platter
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
42-Inch Mesa White Ceiling Fan
$73.95 | Bellacor
Hammary Hidden Treasures Console Table with Three Doors - T72327-00
Hayneedle