It is official! July hottest month on record!

andyandy(6bMI)August 1, 2011

According to the NWS July was the hottest month on record (since 1874) on record for Detroit. I live 5 miles west of Detroit so I'll go with it. The average temperature for July was 79.2. 79 was the old record set twice. We have had Julys with higher high temps but we had only a handfull of nights drop below 7o last month. At least for today August has picked right up. 91 out 88 tom 86 we and high 80s again by weekend.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthworm73(WA z8)

Great! So with that in mind have you seen significant growth in the past 31 days?

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 5:29PM
mastiffhoo(7)

uh oh, make way for the global warming/climate change folks :)

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 5:57PM
jimhardy

Must have been 83F here.
Avg for July was 73/93

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 6:29PM
andyandy(6bMI)

I have seen tons of grwoth last month. The last 4-5 days being the fastest with all of the rain.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 8:11AM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

If I wasnt so interested in pushing my zone Id jump on the climate change band wagon, but since I love tropicals I say bring it on. I little rain wouldnt hurt. We are headed for an all time state record high of 113 tomorrow. Should be interesting. My musa basjoo is putting out a new leaf every 3 days.

mike

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 9:27AM
andyandy(6bMI)

Mike-
I saw last night the forecast for Norman was 113. How do your palms do? that sounds too hot for some.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 2:25PM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

Hey andy

i have 2 pindo in ground 1 needle and one sabal palmetto that dont seem to be effected at all. One pindo is about 4 feet tall and the others are only about 2 feet tall. They are all green so far. The only ones that I have noticed any growth lately are the pindo's

Bananas, cannas, elephant ear, hibiscus, and plumeria are going nuts. My citrus are doing pretty good to. May have to shade them if this keeps up. One satsuma mandarin did ask to be put into the shade though, LOl.

The humidity has been lower than normal. I guess that comes with the drought. Normally we have 50% plus but it has been much lower. Reminds me of when I went to Vegas one summer.
Mike

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 5:24PM
andyandy(6bMI)

I think too much heat is not the best thing for a lot of palms. Sometimes we forget that while they come from tropical areas that is usually some place that never sees 95 much less 100+. Miami has never had a recorded temperature above 99. Hawaii almost never hits 90.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
Germinating Bismarckia nobilis in cool subtropical climate
Hi, I am on Pico island in the Azores and there is...
PicoAzores
Trimming Cycad Fronds
I have two King Sago Palms, in pots, in my enclosed...
mamaheel
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
Bangalow Palm Separation - Triple Planted
hi, i had just separated Bangalow Palms that i just...
acaryofyllis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™