Chlorotic Rhapis excelsa... iron doseage?

eaksqueak(PA 6a)August 13, 2013

I recently bought some lady palms that are in less than stellar condition (because they are nearly impossible to find for sale around here and I wanted one). The newest foliage looks chlorotic so I ordered some Ferriplus, which is a 6% chelated iron FeEDDHA powder. I would like to mix it in the water I give them, but the product labeling is not helpful in determining the dose. These plants are in pots indoors. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

I'd have thought a balanced fertiliser with trace elements would have been good for a container plant. It doesn't take much to change things drastically in something the size of a pot. I haven't used chelated iron so don't know about dosages. Maybe someone with direct experience will chip in.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 8:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eaksqueak(PA 6a)

I decided to go with a very unscientific "tiny pinch" to a gallon jug of water. It was still enough to tint the water pink. So I gave a couple ounces of the pink water to each of my plants and followed up with regular water. Hopefully this is a dilute enough amount not to cause anything terrible. They haven't spontaneously combusted anyway. My best guess is that the plants were being watered with our very alkaline tap water before I bought them, and that led to some iron deficiency.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
growing Dypsis lutescens indoors bad idea?
I hear they are really bad indoor plants, What is ideal...
YouthGarden
Windmill survival opinion
I have a windmill, only about 1 foot of trunk, maybe...
islandbreeze
Help! What is wrong with my Windmill Palm?
My windmill palm is approximately 6 yrs old. Today...
lulupalooza06
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™