Bees and sevin dust??

halecardsJuly 6, 2011

Hi I'm growing pumpkins, gourds, and squash and a lot of them! Squash bugs and beetles are starting to get to my plants and I'm thinking about putting sevin dust on the plants, but will that effect the bees and there pollinating?? Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

If you read the label on your container of Sevin, you'll learn that it is highly toxic to bees, along with any other beneficial insect that may be in the vicinity of your garden. It's actually considered one of THE most toxic products you can use, in terms of bees. It is also deadly to earthworms.

Carbaryl, the active ingredient in Sevin, is a mammalian cholinesterase inhibitor, which everyone should take very seriously.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 4:49PM
halecards

Oh I didn't know that! Do you recommend any other things to keep bugs away?

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 5:06PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Sevin, Carbaryl, is one of the most toxic poisons around. It does kill every insect in your garden, good, bad, or indifferent as well as having adverse health affects on humans.
Just how to control the squash pests involves several steps starting with Floating Row Covers and planting those plants, often "weeds", that attract the predators of the squash pests. If sprays or dusts are needed for control start with the least toxic, not the most toxic, product available and use even that with care since even these low toxicity products are broad spectrum and will also kill off the beneficial insects.
The link below provides a comprehensive look at methods of control.

Here is a link that might be useful: Control of squash pests

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 7:01AM
More Discussions
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Aphids? Spider Mite? Thrips?
About a month ago, my husband bought me this plant....
janicenco
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™