Bush bean leaves turning brown

mr_praline(6 to 7)July 18, 2009

This is my first year gardening, using "square foot" methods. My bush beans started out strong but have been turning brown, leaf by leaf, eventually taking out the entire plant.

There are also some insect holes, but I don't think the two are related.

Any ideas what may be wrong? We've had 100 degree temperature lately, but this started before the heat wave.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

The holes are probably made by earwigs or slugs, but it looks to me more like earwigs.

You have a fungal disease on your beans, probably because of the wet weather. It may be early blight or leaf spot. Pick off any diseased leaves and spray with a fungicide and you may have to do it again and again. Do not compost the leaves.

Fungal disease starts in the soil when the conditions are right. The water hits the soil splashes on to a leaf carrying the spores with it, and it is infected. Water hits the infected leaf, splashes on to a new leaf and so on. The leaf dies falls to the soil and reinfects the soil.

The best defence is to pick off the infected leaves, clean up any debris on the soil and spray with fungicides, and keep on top of it, so your soil is clean because it does winter over.

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 6:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mr_praline(6 to 7)

Thanks, Oilpainter! I will follow your instructions this evening.

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Magnolia champaca- loosening of the leaves
As shown in the picture this Magnolia champaca planted...
b42anuradha
problem with skunk cabbage
My Eastern skunk cabbages aren't doing so well. I believe...
weirdflowers
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
what can I do to save this tree?
This is a Cheery tree that I planted last year.
420benz
Can I fix these split branches?
I have two different bushes/shrubs that have split...
dblank
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™