Please identify pest and eggs on my magnolia

rakin(7b)July 31, 2014

I have been on a quest to figure out what is wrong with my magnolias, and today I discovered these two things. This is the only egg patch that I could find, so I doubt this is serious, but none the less I would like to know what it is before it becomes a new problem.

Eggs on one of the branches. Sorry it is not clearer, but they appear to be wrapped in a sort of webbed sac.

Beetles infestation in the mulch around the magnolias. A little bit bigger than a lady bug. Is it just a common ground beetle or something else? Are they harmful to trees?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

looks like a flea beetle... but i am not sure ...

and that one bug.. and those few eggs.. are NOT significantly affecting a mature tree ...

if you want to diagnose the tree.. we need more pix of the tree ..

ken

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:38PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The image of the black insect is not helpful.....too small. I don't think it's a flea beetle, however.

As for the other, you're right that the image is a poor one! My suggestion can only be a wild guess because of that. I don't think that they are eggs at all but one of the cottony scale insects. Look that up to compare.

If not even close, try again with some better images.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 7:06PM
rakin(7b)

Thanks, I looked at the cottony scale online. I need to go back and take a closer look at the tree. I do recall a couple of leaves during my heavy inspection which had a cottony material at the tip edge. I chalked it up to a left over nest of some sort, but maybe it was scale. Those leaves went into the trash bin.
Also, what sort of insect is it that spins a white web/cocoon between two leaves. I know I read this somewhere, but can't remember now. I pulled a couple of these leaves off that we're stuck together.

I too, originally thought that the beetles were some sort of flea beetle, but in my guide to garden pest book, they looked more like a ground beetle.
Just to be sure, I will be showing it to the arborist that I called this evening. I can't take the stress and worry anymore. He comes tomorrow. I will update with his take on the matter.

Ken_adrain, I posted about the main issue previously under the tree section. You were kind enough to respond there, but I am still searching for answers.

This post was edited by rakin on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 21:55

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™