Schleffera/umbrella tree problems - photo

trh701(z4sd)July 6, 2006

Have had this plant for a year with no problems. Repotted it 2 months ago and seemed to be OK. However, in the last 6 weeks I started to notice what I thought were water droplets on the leaves. However, when I finally investigated further these droplets are sticky and are definitely not water. The bottom leaves are developing brown spots and then the leaves turn yellow and fall off. I can't see any bugs of any kind (I have taken it outside 3 times and sprayed the leaves well). None of the other plants I repotted are having problems so I don't think I had bad soil. However, something is definitely wrong. The photo attached shows 2 of the leaves after they turn yellow and drop off. (My digital camera at home is not working so I can't show you how the leaves get brown spots and then start to turn yellow. Brought 2 of the dead leaves to work and used the dig camera here).

Help!!!!!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cramapple

I'm not sure if the problems are all the same thing. They may be related to or influencing one another, but it's tough to say. The first thing that comes to mind is green islanding which is what can sometimes happen when plant parts begin to yellow or die for whatever reason but insect feeding sites remain green. But, that's just a wild speculation. As for yellowing, browning, and sticky droplets, it would be helpful to see a picture / pictures of each of those things. Once the leaves have fallen off the plant, it's pretty much too late. If we could see the progression of the problem, that would give us a better shot at figuring out what's going on.

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 10:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Look for scale insects along the stem and on the leaves. That is the number one problem with this plant species.

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Magnolia champaca- loosening of the leaves
As shown in the picture this Magnolia champaca planted...
b42anuradha
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™