Hummingbirds Are Enjoying the Rain

susanlynne48(OKC7a)September 13, 2012

Three hummers were playing this morning, and actually sharing space on the feeder. No fighting. Perhaps they understand that they ALL need to eat and get ready for migration.

This afternoon I was out on the porch when the second wave of rain came in, and this cute little hummer was perching on a bare Willow branch, enjoying his shower. I didn't know they flew in the rain, but he kept darting out a few feet and then back to the branch again, over and over again. It was too funny. It was a light rain, else I would imagine a good size raindrop would knock one to the ground, they're so tiny.

I'm going to be sad to see them go for the year, but am certainly enjoying the moments of entertainment for now.

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Susan, Hummers love playing in the artificial "rain". I often turn on the sprinkler or mister for them for a few minutes on hot summer afternoons. They'll play in it for as long as I leave the water on. If I turn on the water at the same time every day, after a few days, they are sitting there waiting for me when I come outside. They are so smart! Sometimes if a feeder is out of nectar and I don't know it, they come to the kitchen window and put on a big show to get my attention so I'll come outside and fill the feeder.

We have had huge hordes of hummers migrating through for about a month now. I've noticed a lot less playing this week, and more serious feeding and flight. I believe they understand it is time to head south because the migrating ones aren't sticking around and playing for a few days like the earlier ones were.

Dawn

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Former Oklahoma Forum member in the news
We miss Diane and Steve, but can get an update here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHCFqjxpuPY&list=UU8-Th83bH_thdKZDJCrn88g...
soonergrandmom
My Onions Are IN, now about snakes...
Thank you, Ms Dawn. Sorry for the late reply to your...
luvabasil1
Intercropping Tomatoes
with Sweet corn? Is it doable? with so many tomato...
chickencoupe
tornados
I am so freakin sick of tornados!
Amanda Odom
ID help
I love spring time. I get to start cleaning out the...
jlhart76
Sponsored Products
Hummingbird Mosaic Mobile Chime - 11071
$22.08 | Hayneedle
Gold End Table Lamp: 23.5 in. Hummingbird Brushed Gold Touch Lamp K303
$44.99 | Home Depot
Hummingbird Cake - N/A
$95.00 | Horchow
'Joy' Hummingbird Wall Plaque
$13.99 | zulily
Brown Hummingbird Rectangular Outdoor Coffee Table - Black, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE