I think I lost my Scott Pratt *sad face*

sjp8987May 18, 2010

I was so excited for spring to come to see if I would get any deep, red flowers from my Scott Pratt - I was even excited to see the tip of my grafted plant get shiny. However, I noticed that it wasn't leafing out like all the others so I poked it with something sharp - no sap :-( The grafted half and the stock half are both firm but no sap :-(. Do y'all think it's dead? The soil is dry right now so it shouldn't have root rot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

Is the tissue green/white if you dig out a small piece with your fingernail or is it brown? If it's still green and firm it might be fine. Maybe it's dehydrated and no sap is running? That's just a guess. I'd try watering with some epsom salts and Superthrive. I'm surprised that's it's not already leafed out in your zone. Good luck.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 9:42PM
sjp8987

It's green and the middle is white, there's just no sap. I'll try watering again - I'm just afraid to water too much w/o any leaves. The soil is completely dry now. I won't lose hope yet! The only thing that worries me is that the stock plant to which it is grafted doesn't have sap either....

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 10:46AM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

A rooted plant needs to be watered. the main danger is overwatering a non-rooted cutting. Just water it in the morning on a warm day and let it drain and dry down in the afternoon. Once a week should get it going.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 6:20PM
sjp8987

THANK YOU everyone who suggested watering my plant. It was dehydrated! I didn't want to reveal at first that I had lopped off the claws to see if it was rotting inside - but I did *gasp!* So, now it's not as pretty as it was, but I can see new growth coming! Oh I am so so excited. It's still not leaking sap when I poke it, but it's not dead! I'll post some pictures later if you promise not to be disappointed that I cut the top off :-D

Sam

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Back from the dead.
I'm back. After giving up on this site, they contacted...
tdogdad
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
Jungle Jacks at Lowes
So, now that I have your attention....when do you think...
rox146
Plumies doing better
Hello! Just an update. My beautiful plumies are doing...
tamela_star
scale
Laura and Peg...is this the scale my husband thinks...
rox146
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™