new way to combat washingtonia seedlings

Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)August 31, 2012

I was cleaning the yard today, and was dreading having to remove the many washingtonia palms that have gone undisturbed for several years. Then it occurred to me that instead of throwing the entire palms away, I could harvest the hearts for eating! it sounds evil! But they are actually quite delicious. I think I will be dealing with washingtonia like this from now on. If you can't beat 'em, you eat'em!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

Nice idea. I dont usually like the idea of killing palms, but there are plenty of washingtonias in California and they are not easy to transplant so if they are in the way, better to make some use out of them then to just throw them out!

I'd imagine that harvesting the heart of the palm might be a little difficult though, so Im interested in hearing how it goes!
-Alex

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 12:45PM
wetsuiter(7b/8a)

Are they even edible? I know palmettos are called cabbage palms because of their cabbage like taste when the heart is cooked. And the Latins are fond of palmito (heart of palm), which likely is a sabal palm or cousin. Are all palm hearts edible?

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 12:52PM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

It was quite difficult! at least the first one was. I basically took a saw to all the leaves, and sawed the base clear from the roots, ending up with the "body" of the palms (the palms were no more than 8 inches in diameter at the base). Then I peeled off leaf bases until I reached a starchy, white center, which I then salted and boiled. It tasted somewhat like asparagus with a faint hint of corn. Definitely worth exploring new recipes with them!

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Survival of up rooted Palm.
I'm in coastal NC Z8b. Builders dropped off a up rooted...
camaross94
Sago Palm out of control!
I have 3 sago palms that started as nice small plants....
kkupsh
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
Windmill survival opinion
I have a windmill, only about 1 foot of trunk, maybe...
islandbreeze
growing Dypsis lutescens indoors bad idea?
I hear they are really bad indoor plants, What is ideal...
YouthGarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™