Mid-summer yellowing of leaves on gray birch: a real bad sign?

slowgardenJuly 29, 2011

We're coming out of a heat wave here. Nothing really major AFAIAC, but I lacked time to weed thoroughly the base of our birch and water it, until just a day or so ago... I am fearing now maybe too late, because it didn't seem to stop it from shedding yellow leaves... Maybe 5 to 8% gone now. This tree was planted 10 years ago, at about 2-3 years of age I guess. It has been thriving fantastically and beautifully ever since, with zero care save for some weeding and minimal mulching. I see in books that this species has a short lifespan. Do you think it is time yet to think about a replacement? Here, spring has been very rainy this year, but summer so far is too dry...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dan Staley

Birches need lots of water. Maybe it will make it if you give it what it needs.

Dan

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 5:44PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Various of my trees shed leaves all during the growing season with some turning yellow before dropping. It is normal, especially if the leaves come from someplace on the tree where they get very little or no sunlight. Unless it is a fairly large amount it most likely is not anything to be concerned about.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 7:11AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Dan is right, birch need water and don't do well in extended dry periods....which means they thrive here where cool moist soil is the rule, but that doesn't help you :)

Start watering deeply once a week until you've had some rainfall if this tree is important to you. 12 or 13 years is exceptionally short lived for any tree including birch, it hasn't reached its natural lifespan.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 5:10PM
slowgarden

Thanks to all for your help! Sorry that I could not follow your replies more vigilantly. I actually had time to do what Dan suggested. Then covered the weeded zone at the tree's base with its own shedded leaves. ...Then luckily a major shower came along. ...Then the yellowing stopped almost instantly! We love this tree so much; starts to shade the house from the S-W sun, and is a winter haven for redpolls! Many thanks again!

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Miscoscopic silver insect
Hi, I need help for an identification. I found them...
MerlinMerlin
Help! My Coleus Has Yellowing, Dying Leaves
I have an unknown variety of coleus; spent last summer...
linuschris
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Sponsored Products
Square Wall Sconce
Lightology
Milano Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$429.00 | Bellacor
Catnapper Loredo Mossy Oak Camouflage Chaise Rocker Recliner - 4609-2 2657-15
$649.00 | Hayneedle
Mid Bosh Leather Sectional
Opulent Items
Super Chill Sectioned Salad Server
$109.95 | FRONTGATE
Uttermost Stuart Silver Leaf 36 3/4" High Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Anolon Nouvelle Grey Copper Hard-anodized Nonstick Cookware Set (9-piece Set)
Overstock.com
Bonita Light Pendant in Gray Tint
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™