June Bug infestation

michelelcJuly 13, 2010

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to control June Bugs. My garden is infested, and they area eating all my basil and pepper leaves. I am organic, so I was wondering if milky spore works on June Bug grubs, or just Japanese beetles? How about nematodes? Are there any deterrents that I can use now for the adults eating my garden?

Thanks!

Michele

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Yes, Milky Spore works against June beetles, as well as Japanese Beetles. Please know that Milky Spore is not effective in every soil type, nor every climate. Call your local extension office for regional information. If it IS something that can be helpful in your area, they will know the best timing of the application, as well.

A couple of years or more ago, we had a bad outbreak of Japanese Beetles and used Surround WP, a kaolin clay product used to repel many different kinds of plant feeding pests. It worked like a charm.

This year, we've had hoards of both June beetles AND Japanese Beetles and have used the Surround WP again with great success. Since our beetle season is of pretty short duration, we'll probably only have to apply it twice. It does last through some rain.

This product does not kill the beetles (and other feeding insects), but encourages them to go elsewhere. It is approved for Certified Organic growers of all kinds of crops (including fruit, veggies, herbs, etc.)

Another products I've used with some success with plant feeding pests is Neem oil. It not only acts as an anti-feedant but has growth regulator properties when ingested. Little collateral damage to beneficial insects when used according to label directions.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™