ID of landscape pest

janice_tuckerJuly 12, 2014

Hi,

I live just south of Tampa, FL. I noticed that I have these small, flat black disc type pests. I'm not sure what they are. Then I noticed I had clusters of what appear to be egg pods throughout my yard. It looks like each of the "eggs" opens with several of these black flat disc-type pests. I thought they might be a type of scale, but can't find anywhere showing that scale "hatches" in pods like these. The pests are on Areca palms, hibiscus, agapanthus, and even migrating on to the lanai screen and house stucco. Any ideas what they are? Many thanks, in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Bird's nest fungus. Cute, don't you think?
Not a problem for man, beast, or plant.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 6:52PM
janice_tucker

Thank you so so much! I've never heard of or seen this before!! Yet one more new learning for Florida gardening. I've gardened in CA and SC, and neither were anywhere near as challenging as gardening in FL! Thanks again!!!

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 10:18PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

fungus.. mushrooms.. decompose your mulch or wood in your soil ...... it really has nothing to do with the plants they are near ...

so .. as jean suggests... call them cute.. and enjoy the show ...

and if you have one type.. expect other types ...

ken

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 10:58AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Those little spore packets stick like glue.....you won't be able to get them off your stucco. If you have this wood mulch within several feet of your house, patio furniture, vehicles or other surfaces, you'll notice the specks. To my knowledge, there's nothing that gets the spores off. I've even known them to pit the painted surface of vehicles.

To mitigate the damage, you can apply a layer of pine straw on top of the mulch near your home. The fungi won't grow on pine straw at all, which will also block the sun, a trigger for this totally cool fungus.

The next time you apply mulch, you might consider pine BARK instead of the wood chips I see. If my memory serves me, bark also won't support the growth of this particular fungus. I first became aquainted in SC, by the way.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™