Squash Bugs

lkeithtJuly 7, 2011

We planted pumpkins in a new section (no garden there for abt 15 years), at least 200ft from where we planted pumpkins last year (which were hit by squash bugs). I'm starting to find them again. I killed several adults and destroyed eggs the day before yesterday. Today I checked again and found 6 more adults and about 25 egg clusters. This is on about 20 pumpkin plants that have 8-10 leaves each. Last year we tried spraying soapy water, but that burned the leaves. I need to find something other than manually destroying these things, especially considering that its getting hotter (heat index 100+ today) and the amount of leaves to check are increasing.

Does DE kill them? Do the young leave the plant long enough to contact the DE? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Keith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'll suggest that you research a kaolin clay product called 'Surround', which works (quite well) as a physical repellent against many different kinds of pest insects.

The white coating you'll apply not only keeps the pests away but is of huge help to crops during periods of high temperatures and blazing sun.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 10:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Diamotaceous Earth might be of some limited value for controlling the larva of the Squash pests and Surround can disguise the leaves enough so the wee buggers are confused enough so they don't find the plants.
Neem Oil products appear to be good at controlling the various pests of Squash although due care is needed since Neem Oil products are broad spectrum poisons that can also kill off the beneficial insects that can aid in control of the squash pests.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
Lilac Concerns
My lilac plant is... frying? ... Lives in zone 8a One...
kricsten
Hibiscus plant has brown growths on stem
So, I believe this is a hibiscus plant, although it...
stilllucky0
Best organic pesticide for house plant soil?
Best organic pesticide for house plant soil? I currently...
algar32
Can I fix these split branches?
I have two different bushes/shrubs that have split...
dblank
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Sponsored Products
Allergy Control Cotton Performance Pillow Encasing
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Fun Time Shape Red Lady Bug 35" x 39"
$39.97 | Home Depot
Dream Decor Organic Smooth Top Waterproof Bed Bug Encasement - BBDTO3875-12
$68.99 | Hayneedle
All-In-One Protection with Bed Bug Blocker Cotton Rich Pillow Protector (Set of
Overstock.com
DoggyRide Mini Bike Trailer
$199.00 | FRONTGATE