Can anyone identify these.

sindaear(Zone 3)July 21, 2013

I've got what appear to be some kind of eggs all over a tree in my backyard. I haven't been able to see the insect once it hatches though. The tree looks terrible. The leaves are all curling up and dying, and I think these insects are the cause. Any ideas what they might be and a way to eliminate them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Not insect eggs but leaf galls. Leaf galls are caused by insects ( of various kinds) but are not considered to cause much of anything but aesthetic damage.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 7:22PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

what she said...

and note... 99% of that leaf surface is intact.. and doing its job... but for you yanking them off the tree.. lol ....

the only one severely impacted.. is you ...

and unless i am mistaken.. are you aware.. you show ONLY 2 leaves .... i am pretty sure those are what is called compound leave ... JUST 2

ken

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 9:31AM
scottys(z6NY)

Definitely leaf gall. I had a similiar problem a few years back and applied Hi-Yield Di-Syston Systemic Insecticide Granules all around the base of the tree and thoroughly watered it in as directed. It worked wonderfully and Ive yet to have a repeat of new gall.
Just exercise caution and not let children or pets on the treated area for several days until the granules are completely dissolved with several waterings.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™