Ornamental Pepper question

AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)April 21, 2013

Hi...I have several chinese five color ornamental pepper plants that I started approximately two months ago. I obviously have not planted them out yet because we have not yet passed our last frost date.
Most of my plants have little flower buds in their centers. Should I let them flower in their pots before I get them transplanted to their big outdoor containers?
TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don555(3a)

In my opinion, depends how close you are to planting outside. I am about a month from planting outdoors here, and I have been pruning back plants that have set flower buds (so far, 2 plants have been pruned, out of 10 plants total). I might continue to prune back plants that set buds for another 2 weeks or so, but once I'm within 2 weeks of planting outside I think I'll leave them be.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 2:01AM
Trilliam

Before I planted mine out this year two of them already had nice size peppers on them. :)

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 3:33AM
cjohansen

I have flowers on probably half my plants, and peppers on at least three. I still have 3-4 weeks until planting out. I considered snipping them, but figured that if maintaining flowers and fruits retards growth a little, that's OK, as I will run out of room if they grow very much bigger now :)

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 6:39AM
AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)

Thanks everyone!
Since I am going to be growing them in outdoor pots I think I'm going to go ahead and let them flower and start hardening them off now...If we get a late season frost I can always bring the pots in.
Thanks again!

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™