Schleffera/umbrella tree problems - PHOTOS

trh701(z4sd)July 26, 2006

Have had this plant for a year with no problems. Repotted it 2 months ago and seemed to be OK. However, in the last 6 weeks I started to notice what I thought were water droplets on the leaves. However, when I finally investigated further these droplets are sticky and are definitely not water. The bottom leaves are developing brown spots and then the leaves turn yellow and fall off. I can't see any bugs of any kind (I have taken it outside 3 times and sprayed the leaves well). None of the other plants I repotted are having problems so I don't think I had bad soil.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Not a schefflera but a Pachira (aka Money Tree, Good Luck Tree, Umbrella Tree). This is a plant that is apparently somewhat difficult to grow, considering all the comments about it in the House Plant Forum.

Can't help you with the yellowing leaves, as this seems to be typical behavior. But I can tell you that your plant has an infestation of scale insects. You need to look for small dark bumps along the stems, even on the leaves. These are the adult scale insects. The sticky stuff is their excrement.

Inspect all of your plants for scale, as the eggs and crawlers are readily spread (usually by us).

Here is a link that might be useful: C'mon....let's see what these folks have to say!

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 5:52AM
More Discussions
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™