Grass From Bulb Dying Off - How should I proceed?

auri(9)July 26, 2014

These are 2 - 4 shoots of a thick grass growing from bulbs. The blades are almost round, and have a thick waxy like coating to make them very strong.

Once I got them from a neighbor I didn't water for about a week, they seemed fine. They started to wilt, so I watered sparingly. It seems when I water they spruce up a little, but then die even faster again. I'm not sure how she used to keep these, they're dying like crazy!! I'm not able to reach her. The plant has thinned about 75% since I received it.

The soil is damp right now, but have lived outside Nevada with our hot heat. So the top soil dries within 24hrs, and about 1" down it's slightly damp. I have had them for about 2 months, and whether I let the soil dry out completely or keep it moist, they continue dying! I have tried full sun for about a week, they continued dying. Tried shade with still bright light reaching it, continue dying. I'm at a wit's end. The shoots keep producing new ones, but eventually I'm sure it will run out of energy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Do you know what they are? A lot of bulb plants pretty much do this every summer--they sprout in the spring, bloom, die back, look terrible, and start over next year. They might be just fine.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 11:48PM
auri(9)

If they indded are @ the end of their yearly growth cycle, and dont show any signs of regeneration, how should they be stored over winter? In the usual place outside, indoors, or a shed maybe? And just bring out where it receives light next February/March right?

No, I'm actually not sure. There hasn't been a positive identification yet. I have an open thread in 'name that plant section' (link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 12:05AM
auri(9)

I think we have positively identified it from my "Name that Plant" thread. Users trini1 & Alisonoz have recommended Rain Lily - zephyranthes, it seems correct!

With that in mind, anyone have experience with rain lilies dying back over late summer & should I tale any extra care steps? Also, is there a way to update the name of this thread (with Rain Lily title) so others can find it?

Photo of Rain Lilies (for comparison) from the net:

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 9:44PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

If the ID is correct, that would be normal behavior, especially if the ground/potting mix had dried out..

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 1:49AM
More Discussions
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™