Fluffy bug. What is it, exactly.

starfire75July 5, 2007

I have lived in north central Iowa all my life. I have never seen this bug before. My nephew called it a fluffy bug. It has a white fluff on it's hind end. I took some very close pictures of it at the following link. They are too big to upload to this site.


Don't worry, it is just my Webshots page. More outdoorsy stuff.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No clue as to an ID, but that's a cool looking bug. Looks all dressed up for it's wedding.:)

    Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 12:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Looks kind of like a mosquito wearing a Down covered Skirt. It does look like it's getting a drink.

Is that a second set of wings or just part of the first?

    Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 3:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Looks like one of the wooly aphids. Pretty funny looking, aren't they?

Here is a link that might be useful:

    Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 11:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Could possibly be one of the many May Flies.

    Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 7:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The bug is actually called a Wooly Aphid. There are many kinds and they are not that great for the environment. They are cute though, for a bug.

I hope that helps!

    Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 5:34PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™