So is it the slugs?!?!?!

kevm404July 8, 2010

Ok, so a couple weeks ago i noticed some holes in my strawberry plants leaves. I just thought it was the chipmunks or birds so I put bird-netting over it, and the problem stopped. But today, as I was walking through my melon plants, noticing that some of the blossoms were soggy and seemed to have fallen off the vine, I noticed A SLUG?! I didn't even know I had slugs where I lived (Northern IL). It was really small, probably about a centimeter long. So, was it really the slugs eating my strawberry plants? And did they now ditch my strawberry plants for my melon blossoms? And how the heck do I get rid of them?!?!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Well, if you don't have slugs in your region, it could have been something else. One possibility is flower fly larva which kills aphids. So without an image, I'd be hard put to say yes, it's slugs.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 1:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

No slugs in Northern Illinois? C'mon, kevm. Certainly strawberry plants are part of their diet- never had them bother melon plants much, maybe 'cuz their busy with my Hostas. If you search this and any number of forums you'll find a myriad of slug tactics.

tj

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 1:36AM
More Discussions
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™