Fertilizer - What is everyone using this year?

pharoah(Sherman Oaks CA)June 2, 2011

I'm always interested in finding out what people use to feed their Plumies. Years ago, high phosphorus (over 50) seemed to be the only way to go. Now it seems many are using a balanced fertilizer such as 14-14-14. On the FC website it is stated that Plumeria require a fertilizer low in Phosphorus such as 4-1-4...yet newly rooted cuttings get a 10-30-10.

So....what's everyone using this year? Also, what did you use last season and did you get good results??

Tony

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tdogdad(Zone 9)

I kick off with sulpo mag and worm castings. I follow with Dr. Earth #8 organic 4-10-7 and when the leaves come I foliar with spray n grow with Bill's perfect organic 6-11-5 and coco wet. This has been good for me. Bill

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 2:41AM
ladyver(9)

Bill, I basically do the same thing that you do with good results, but I'm beginning to wonder about my choice of Dr. Earth #8.....for a week or two my whole yard smells like something died in it. In fact, when I first started using it I spent hours combing through the yard for a rat, only to find it was Dr. Earth! How do you get around that awful smell?

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 4:04PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

What smells bad to us smells great to your plants. Work it into the soil to cut the smell. I also noticed that ground squirrels like to roll in it. The fact is that it works. Oh, if you don't like the smell, for sure don't soak some in thirty gallons of water for several days for a drench because that really smells intense. You might be using too much. Bill

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 12:20AM
pharoah(Sherman Oaks CA)

Thanks for sharing. This year I'm about 95% organic and it seems to be the way to go. Everything looks great!'

Tony

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 12:52AM
ladyver(9)

Thanks Bill! My first 50lbs bag of the stuff didn't smell as bad as the current bag I have. I didn't have 30 gallons of drench, but I had 15 gallons of the drench in my garage for a week. It bubbled and did its thing but the smell wasn't half as bad as what I've sprinkled on top of my pots this season. Methinks they might have gone crazy on the fish bone meal in my batch. You're right, the regimen definitely works. I'm having a banner year (though slow to start). Sonja

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 10:38PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

I have used just about everything...Superbloom...Dr Earth's and others....this year im using Foliage Pro!!
I really like it...easy to use...and the trees seen to be very happy...

Hope this helps...

Laura in VB

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 12:27AM
mauitom61(9a/Heat 11)

I've JUST started using Jobe's Organic Knockout Rose Food(3-4-3). I wanted to move away from the chemical and into organic and this seemed to be the best I could find at my local Home Depot. I like that it's loaded with all kinds of beneficial bacteria and fungus. I'm anticipating happier plumies. :)
Tom

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 9:51PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Right now Im using Big Bud Bloom Booster (0-1-3). I'm not sure if its working or not, but I fed my plumerias about 2 weeks ago and now Im seeing some inflos forming on some of them, so I wonder if its the fertilizer or just a coincidence? Either way, Im happy!
Usually I dont fertilizer my plumerias much if at all, so Im not sure if Im using the right fertilizer or not.
-Alex

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 2:05AM
labland(Inland Valley CA9)

I have noticed a bit of a smell from Dr. earth, but what I REALLY noticed is one of my labs (Jake the clown) tries to eat it out of the pot!!! So I have to make sure to mix it well with the soil of the pots that the dog can get to. It worries me that he wants to eat it. Not sure if it is dangerous for him to eat, so I don't take any chances!

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 11:41AM
powderpuff

Labland, I know what you mean. Mine try to get to Bonemeal. I have to make sure it is completely out of their reach.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 7:27PM
powderpuff

I have used Dyna-Gro for years. I use the 7-9-5, Bloom, Mag Pro 2-15-4 and Pro-Tekt. Pro-Tekt helps them withstand our intense sun.
I also alternate with others:
Roots Organic Extreme Serene( great for newly rooted cuttings)
Roots Organic Buddha Bloom
Fish Emulsion 2-4-0
Bill's Perfect Fertilizer
Spray and Grow
Coco Wet to use as a sticker
Hawaiian Bud and Bloom( I use this very sparingly and only once in a while in early or mid summer
Grow More Seaweed Extract( LOVE THIS STUFF)

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 2:13PM
vikrantsingh

Is MPK good for frangipani

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 4:01AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Pharoah wrote "On the FC website..."

I think FC = Florida Colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Colors Nursery

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
How To Give Away Plumeria
I bought a plumeria (gorgeous pinks and yellows) before...
treehugger101
Thai Super Round Blooming In February.....Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Hello everyone!! I hope you all are enjoying the warmth...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Back from the dead.
I'm back. After giving up on this site, they contacted...
tdogdad
I think I killed my plumeria...
I brought my two plants inside for the winter, and...
mitragorz
Inflo from last summer now producing multiple tips!
Hello guys and gals! I have a little situation on my...
Andrew Scott
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™