Sick Yoshino cherry tree

cb_boaterAugust 24, 2006

About a year ago, we built a house is southern DE. The builder planted a Yoshino cherry tree which is now sick. I'm hoping someone can diagnose the problem and recommend some products to treat the problem.

The symptoms are peeling bark, wounds on the trunk and holes in the leaves which then turn yellow and drop. I've attached a pic of the trunk - hope that helps.

I was reading about the cherry trees in DC and how they treat them. They referred to 'bark tracing' - does anyone know what that is?

Thanks!!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bria0128

I really don't know much about this. Cherries have so many problems it's hard to tell one from another sometimes, especially if one leads to another. I looked it up and this stood out:

"Newly planted trees and young trees are also more prone to bark-splitting. While normally not fatal to trees, bark splits can allow entry of disease organisms that can cause decay problems. "

My Yoshino is dying now of the ever-so-serious bacterial canker, it had holes in the leaves like you say yours has, but of course it's very difficult to tell isn't it? I'll be pulling mine out of the ground soon and it's so sad. You'll want to take care of this as soon as possible. Hope it goes well!

Bookmark   August 26, 2006 at 7:08PM
dougt

I know I shouldnt post this but maybe you can find something similar. I had a similar problem with one of my Yoshino cherry trees several years ago. I sprayed the hole tree with diazinon and cut the affected limbs. The tree is huge now with no more problems. I don't know if you can find anything in comparison to diazinon, but if you can try it.

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 3:31PM
fmart322(Z6SNJ)

I live in NJ and had/have the same thing last year. I didn't do anything about it and the tree seems to be fine for now.

Here it is this years and bloomed wonderfuly.

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Miscoscopic silver insect
Hi, I need help for an identification. I found them...
MerlinMerlin
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
yellow raised spots/bumps on tomatillo leaves
Hi guys, I've got some tomatillo plants that are developing...
kuvaszlvr
what can I do to save this tree?
This is a Cheery tree that I planted last year.
420benz
Lilac Concerns
My lilac plant is... frying? ... Lives in zone 8a One...
kricsten
Sponsored Products
SMV Tree Pruner Multicolor - GTP-T10
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Aspen Natural Wood Branch Table Lamps (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Cherry Storage Bench
$124.99 | zulily
Windy Morn Wall Art
Grandin Road
Snow Joe 18 in. Universal Snow Thrower Protective Cover - SJCVR
$21.99 | Hayneedle
Elegant Gifts Christmas Throw Pillow Christmas Decor
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
TRIBECCA HOME Daphne Burnished Cherry Mission Dining
Overstock.com
Wood Molding & Trim: Home Legend Flooring Brazilian Cherry 3/4 in. Thick x