Bean leaves - Blight? Rust? ID help please.

themajorliftAugust 1, 2010

Tiny dark spots appear on leaves and then they slowly turn yellow and crumble. Doesn't seem to be from insect damage. Plants are pole beans planted in SWC on a deck.

I am removing the leaves and stems affected, currently only on the lower leaves of the plant. I have sprayed twice with Ortho EcoSense Garden Disease Control (a week apart.) HD & Lowes are my only easy to access places to buy garden supplies (other then online.)

I'm new to gardening and this is a late pole bean planting. Lost the first crop before it flowered to psyllids (got bug ID help from this forum.) Planted these in hopes of getting some beans this year.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from spreading to the rest of the plant? Should I keep spraying with what I have or try another product? Or is a lost cause? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

This product has some kind of a copper solution for fungal disease control and you may be able to find a less expensive and better at control product in the same aisle.
It appears to me that your beans have rust.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Rust

Bookmark   August 1, 2010 at 7:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Those spots are rust-colored. But they don't look like the disease called rust. More likely environmental glitch as in sudden heat wave or brief water shortage or combo of both.

Bookmark   August 1, 2010 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™