Caterpillar ID?

mooseling(Z5 CO)August 15, 2010

I've noticed that there's quite a few small black and yellow caterpillars on my house. They're half an inch long or smaller and slightly fuzzy. I tried googling it and they do look a lot like Harrisina americana larvae, but according to what I found, that species isn't found in Colorado. I did find mention of Harrisina brillians which is in Colorado, but they caterpillars I have don't really look like the pictures I've found. Also I would think they would be on the grape plants if they were one of those species. I haven't seen any on the grapes at all or any plants. Just on the house itself.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

You're caterpillar is the larva of the spotted tussock moth. You can read about it in the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Spotted tussock moth

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 6:51AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

'Slightly fuzzy' doesn't seem to fit the Spotted Tussock Moth caterpillar. He's a cute thing, isn't he?

Hopefully, mooseling will get back to us with an affirmation or an improved description. Some pictures would even be better!

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 7:48AM
mooseling(Z5 CO)

It's definitely not that. I couldn't tell that these guys were fuzzy until I tried petting one. I'll try to get some pictures of them tomorrow!

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 2:58AM
mooseling(Z5 CO)

Sorry I couldn't get a better picture. My regular camera's not working and all I had is my phone camera.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 11:57AM

Well, I'd sure guess that it's a Western Grape Leaf Skeletonizer, but you say no?

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 1:31PM
mooseling(Z5 CO)

That's my guess too. I think the first one I examined closely looked a bit different. All the other ones I've looked at look like the western grape leaf skeletonizer. Now my only question is why haven't we seen them on the grapes (or any plant for that matter) and why are they crawling all over the side of the house? Any ideas?

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 7:28PM

It's not totally unusual for an insect to become disoriented and lay eggs in places they shouldn't. I've seen lots of eggs on the siding of homes, on screen doors and windows, etc. WHO KNOWS why? Not me, that's for sure.

Thanks for posting your pictures and your story. It reminds us that there are exceptions to every rule concerning any living organism.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 10:23PM
eastoutwest

Be careful petting caterpillars... I've had a few nasty stings from the more decorated ones.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 12:43AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

I've had a few nasty stings from the more decorated ones

How many times did it take you to learn NOT to touch them?
I haven't been stung yet but have seen a few pretty ones. Here's recent pictures of the mildly irritating white marked tussock moth cat.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 6:30AM
eastoutwest

One time I took a step and felt a sting on my ankle. Looked down and a big puffy green one was on my shoelace. Apparently the lace swung up and hit my ankle. It wasn't like a bee sting as far as pain, but it was swollen for a few days...

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Pepper problem
I am a doctor and gardening beginner, trying my luck...
heshamsaeed
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Rabbit catch and release
I've researched all options for removing the rabbit...
beryl469
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Sponsored Products
Cashmere Textured Dupioni Silk Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 108
$171.95 | Bellacor
Crocs Lunch Bag
$7.99 | zulily
Westinghouse Ceiling Fans Polished Brass Canopy Kit 7706100
$11.99 | Home Depot
Reve Bed
Design Within Reach
Minka Lavery | Aluma Ceiling Fan
$279.95 | YLighting