What's happening here black leaves but blooming

anita55(zone 6 NY)August 1, 2014

This is the only one that's blooming so far but not healthy what is it? What should I do now? Preventive measures for next year? Thanks.
Anita

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

We can safely say that it's one of two diseases that are common to Rudbeckia, bacterial (angular) leaf spot or Septoria leaf spot, a fungal disease.

The affected plant should be removed, pronto. Avoid overcrowding and overhead irrigation. These diseases can spread rapidly through an area that is watered by a sprinkler system. All fallen leaves need to be removed.

In the fall, the planting area should be meticulously cleaned up, even removing the mulch.

There are fungicides that are effective for Septoria as well as copper sprays that can be useful for the bacterial leaf spot as well as the fungal disorder. But the most important aspects of gaining control is removal and housekeeping.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 9:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anita55(zone 6 NY)

Thank you. It affected only two plants and I removed them right away. No sprinklers there. Maybe a little crowded. Will keep an eye on my other plants. That was the only rudbeckia that was blooming!!
Anyway appreciate quick answer and advice.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™