My salad leaves are disappearing and fast!

RaistlynAugust 31, 2011

Hi all!

I am new to gardening and planting some vegetables to try out.

I have some salad and spinach growing and noticed that some of the leaves have been chewed off. Not holes, just entirely off! No droppings, no slug trails, no bugs around that I can see either (i have tons of spiders). I am puzzled as last night, one of the seedling had a bit of leaf and a stem and this morning, that same seedling no longer had ANYTHING left. Stem pretty much eaten too!!

What could it be?? My seedlings are in containers. How can I stop it if I dont even know what it is?? Hedghog? Rat??

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I usually think of some sort of animal when someone complains about entire plants being chewed off. I'm not familiar with might be the typical culprits in your country, but in the US I would suspect voles, rabbits, deer, mice/rats.

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 11:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

In Switzerland I would suspect Field mice (aka Voles), deer, rabbits, gophers/groundhogs/woodchucks/hedgehog if the plants have been nibbled on. A bit of fence formed into a U and placed upside down over the plants might be all that is necessary to keep the wee bugger(s) from feeding on them.

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 7:11AM
More Discussions
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Grubs
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
oberci
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™