What in the world?

MiaOKCOctober 4, 2013

I went outside this morning and needed to use the hose. I was getting ready to attach the little-used sprayer to the end and I noticed what looked like green leaves in the connector. I banged it on a the patio for a minute, thinking I could dislodge an errant leaf that had someone gotten blown in there. A leaf fell out, but I saw another leaf was still in there. I banged again, and another leaf fell out, but sure enough, there was still another inside. I decided to take the quick connect adapter off and push the leaves out with my finger, and as soon as I unscrewed the adapter a long tube of packed-in leaves fell out of the spray gun cavity!!

At the far end, it looks like older, more decayed leaves, and the subsequent newer leaves are nested into it and at the outlet are the most new, green and fresh leaves.

I feel like this has something to do with a bug, or caterpillar, or butterfly or something. I'm not sure how long it's been since I used the sprayer, probably a month. What say you, o wise ones? Curiosity burns within me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Mia, That's certainly an odd thing to find in your sprayer, isn't it? My best guess is that it might be leaf-cutter bees or even Texas leaf-cutting ants. The temperatures lately have been in exactly the range that Texas leaf-cutter ants prefer. However, if you don't see any little ant mounds around the area where the sprayer is located, I think it more likely is leaf-cutter bees.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas leaf-cutting Ants

This post was edited by okiedawn on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 13:16

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 12:39PM
slowpoke_gardener

That is the reason my irrigation tubes have screw-on cap on them, so I can blow the crud out of them.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 8:45PM
MiaOKC

Thanks, Dawn, I think you are correct with leaf-cutter bees guess. I googled photos and they seem to be a pretty close match. Thanks for solving a garden mystery!

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Gardenia and Peace Lily Zone 7
Hi All. My daughter died recently and we received...
realtrrldy
Pictures to warm us up
So far I have 20 flats- a few plants I lost to applejuice....
luvncannin
Lisa, did you see: Work starts to protect monarch butterflies
Their bright orange and black wings are a familiar...
OklaMoni
chili peppers
I am totally confused what is a chili pepper. this...
oldokie
2015 Spring Fling Anyone?
It must be so. I've reserved a porta-potty and marked...
p_mac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™